Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Healthy Role Model for the Modeling World

The organizers of Spain's top fashion show, the Pasarela Cibeles, recently announced that they would not allow models to participate unless they had a "healthy" weight-to-height ratio. Apparently, 30 percent of the models failed, which is not surprising in the never-too-thin-unless-you're-dead look of the 2000's.

I'm so glad to see something like this, as it seems like more and more I'm seeing really disturbingly thin women and sometimes men. Right after I read this article in a local daily, I found myself on the stairmaster at the gym behind a girl who literally looked like an Auschwitz victim. It's so, so sad, and I think the fashion and entertainment industries are probably the best place to start changing the perception that you have to be emaciated to be sexy.

I checked my index using the formula (divide weight in pounds by height in inches squared, and multiply that total by 703). My result of 21.62 was right between 18.5-24.9, which is the "normal" range, whew! The Pasarela Cibeles folks turned away anyone with a number under 18. I read about this in several publications, but I got my final facts from this article.

2 Comments:

Blogger Debussy said...

That is so cool that they are doing that! I wonder, do you think 'voluptuous' will ever be back 'in'?

I really suck at math, I score a 12,882! Someone help me, I'm 150 pounds and 67 inches.

I wonder if Kate Bosworth would pass:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v508/SnakePlisken/General/kb3.jpg

It's too bad she's like that, I really dig her eyes:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v508/SnakePlisken/General/kb9.jpg

5:08 PM  
Blogger Debussy said...

The links run off of the page, i'll repost in two parts

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v508
/SnakePlisken/General/kb3.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v508
/SnakePlisken/General/kb9.jpg

Sorry it won't let me post html I would have linked it.

2:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home