Sunday, September 03, 2006

Visions of Arctic Snowcaps and Cute Baby Polar Bears...


I wrote this entry about a month ago, before I went on vacation, but had it saved in draft form. Unfortunately, it's as valid today as the day I friggin wrote it. Although, I don't think it's been 115 lately, I'm amazed at the consistent 95+ temps. I think I may have become more accustomed to it, though. The other day, I saw a pale blond tourist on the metro with sweat literally pouring down his face, and I was almost dry :) They TELL me that the heat starts to break in September, we'll see...

OK, so I've resolved to not whine about the heat, and that's why I only did a blip about it, but this entry came to me at 3 A.M. while lying in a puddle of sweat with the fan on high aimed strategically at my head to ensure that the breeze covered my whole body if I raised certain body parts in the right way. The heat is much stronger than a blip. It's an entire entry. SOMEBODY KILL ME NOW PLEASE!!!!

Whew, glad I got that off my chest. I spent the majority of the day yesterday in the mall, where the air conditioning makes it almost cold in some places. I have visited the mall frequently, as it's near my house and has all the amenities the modern Jeff would want (including free wifi with purchase!!!), but yesterday was a forced mall visit. I try not to frequent big megastores like that, but most smaller establishments here just don't really have air conditioning, or the air doesn't really work well, or you sit on an outside terrace (a beauteous thing when it's under 100 degrees). So, I'm at the mall, sipping Starbucks and deciding whether to buy my next small purchase at McDonald's or the Asian-Cajun fusion place :(

Add to the heat the fact that seemingly everything one needs for life creates heat. My laptop BLEEDS heat after using if for 15 minutes, and it by definition needs to be, um, kinda close to your body. The hot water heater in the kitchen... yep, it's hot. Although, I'm now appreciating that we actually have to turn the pilot light on, so when we aren't showering, it's off. The TV, my source of all Spanish language, hot as hell. Coffee... heat. At these temperatures, even the wind is an unwelcome blast of heat. WHEN will it end? It was 115 degrees Fahrenheit in Cordoba a couple of days ago, and I think they have humidity, so I'm actually counting my lucky stars.

1 Comments:

Blogger Debussy said...

Is it just me or is there less air conditioning in Europe? When I lived in Germany there was hardly any, but they had very few hot months during the year.

It's hot here too, but I have the AC running most of the time. :p

5:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home