Saturday, August 12, 2006

Fame

Last night, I was having drinks with a friend at an outdoor terrace in the Plaza de Chueca, when my friend informed me that the crowd next to us included a famous television actress whose brother is an even more famous dancer and choreographer. I must admit, the crowd looked pretty hip and she was beautiful, but I would have had no idea if he hadn't pointed it out. It confirmed for me what I've suspected all along - they're are tons of famous people in Madrid. It's one of the centers of the Spanish film and television industry, and I'm constantly seeing film crews doing something or other. Just the other day, I think I saw the world's SECOND largest breasts by McDonald's on Gran Via attached to a woman who was doing some weird sort of wet t-shirt and shorts contest with this shirtless muscle guy for video cameras. I took two videos and one picture, and all came out bad, but here's the best of the bunch.



As I type this, I'm watching this magic show on Saturday morning T.V. with this magician who I first saw when waiting outside a concert arena for a cheap ticket to the Zero 7 show. He and his friend had him rigged up with this trench coat contraption so that it looked like his head would drop down to the middle of his body, and they kept stopping people and reciting some schtick about a show that if the people went to see it, they would lose their head. It freaked everyone out and kept me entertained while I waited for a ticket scalper to come by.

It just figures that now that I'm seeing a multitude of stars, I have no idea who they are. I was obsessed with celebrities as a child, and have never really seen anyone really big. San Francisco is just not a star town, like Los Angeles or New York, and Nebraska - well, I think we had Johnny Carson, but he was gone from there by the time he hit it big.

There is one exception to the star sightings without a clue here, though. During gay pride, one of the floats contained a couple of the stars from Aqui No Hay Quien Viva, my favorite Spanish sitcom.



Most of the time, it seems like you're seeing the rich and famous everywhere here in Madrid anyway, as the MadrileƱos have a wicked sense of style and the streets are always happening.

3 Comments:

Blogger Debussy said...

I'm in a prime location for star sightings but I haven't recongnized anyone 100% yet. There's a number of sightings I've had but I'm not really sure if they were who I thought they were:

George Carlin - At the Aero Theater
Lindsay Lohan - Coffee shop by my apartment
Heath Leger - driving down Sunset Blvd

There's movies being shot all the time here as well, I think I've seen 3 or 4 already since I've moved here.

4:22 PM  
Blogger Chromest*r said...

That's the other thing... they always look different in person, darnit!

8:41 PM  
Blogger Matty G said...

I had a series of close encounters with Jessical Lange in Lincoln, Nebraska when she was filming "My Antonia" - first she sat at the table behind us at Lazlo's... then we went to see "Thelma and Louise" at the Cinema Twin, and she was sitting next to us in the balcony... but in both cases, we didn't find out she was there until after she had left... so after the movie, we chased her down on the sidewalk as she and her friend were walking back to the Cornhusker Hotel. Once we caught up with her, we just walked past he and said "Hi."

My mom saw Debra Winger at the mall in Lincoln when she was dating then Nebraska governor Bob Kerrey (they had met while she was in town filming "Terms of Endearment")... my mom said she walked like a cow.

1:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home